Sunday, November 20, 2011

Indirectness is Not Insecurity

In her article Deborah Tannen writes on the effects of gender on communication. Tannen suggest that women use indirect orders to get there employees to follow direction and get things done men tend to be straight forward and direct.  She centered this communications difference in the modern day work place.  she showed how a woman approach could be just as effective as the mans.

I dont agree with Tannen, I believe that we have to adapt an communication tactic that works best for the individuals who I am managing. If they do better with a sternness and more direct means of communication, then that tactic should be used. But if I have people working for me that need more of a sensitive indirect way of being communicated with then I would use that, but only to a certain extent.  I believe that as a woman we are looked at a sensitive creatures and sometimes this gets in the way of managing certain types of people.  When men are being managed by women they might tend to dismiss a sensitive woman as a boss and not take her seriously.  so maybe using a more universal method of communication in the workplace would workout best. Strong, but not overbearing seems to be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment